ADOPTION APPLICATION PROCESS AND PROCEDURES
Due to the high volume of applications being received, please note that it can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for us to process your application.
Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog through Key to Lion’s Heart Rescue. Key to Lion’s Heart makes no representation on the breed of the dogs. Our dogs are all rescues and therefore, we cannot guarantee what the mix the dog may have based on parentage. We can only base the breed identification on experience and do not consider ourselves experts or professionals on any breed of dog.
Once we receive your application we will begin to process it in a timely manner. Submission of your application does not guarantee approval. An approved application is required prior to a meet and greet.
Our adoption process will include the following components in order to become an approved applicant/adopter:
1. Checking your personal references. Please be sure to list two personal references that are not related to you.
2. If you do not own your place of residence we will need to call your landlord or leasing office.
3. Veterinarian reference. If you do not have any pets currently in the home, please list the veterinarian you used for any previous pets. We do require all pets in the home to be spayed/neutered as well as up to date on rabies and DHPP vaccines at at the time the application is submitted and have heartworm tests done annually. We also require all dogs to be on preventatives.
4. Phone interview. One of our adoption coordinators will call and speak with you about your application and dog of choice.
5. Home visit from a Key to Lion’s Heart Rescue volunteer.
Once your application is complete, you will be notified of your approval to adopt and will be required to have a meet and greet with the entire household. We do not do same day, on the spot adoptions. You will be able to take your new dog/puppy home after signing the adoption contract and paying the specified donation fee. Enrollment in Obedience Training is required within 3 months of adoption. There are no exceptions.
Our fees for puppies up to 6 months is $400 to include age appropriate core vaccines (DHPP and rabies between 12 and 16 weeks old) and microchip. Dogs 6 months to 7 years old are $350 to include routine core vaccines (DHPP and Rabies), spay/neuter (unless unable due to medical) and microchip. All dogs over the age of 7 are $250 to include routine core vaccines(DHPP and Rabies), spay/neuter (unless unable due to medical) and microchip.
Please note, we do NOT adopt out more than one dog/puppy at a time. We ask that you take time to bond and learn your new dog for at least 6 months prior to adopting another dog. Obedience training is required within the first 3 months of adopting a Key to Lion’s Heart Rescue dog.